NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
GENEVA - Canadian aeroplane maker Bombardier has expanded its leading Challenger family of business jets with the launch of the new Challenger 350 aircraft in collaboration with global leader in private aviation, US firm NetJets. The launch on Monday was held at a special event here at the European Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition (EBACE). Bombardier said deliveries of the ...
JOHANNESBURG - The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) has granted power producer Eskom a licence for its Sere wind farm in the Western Cape, paving the way for the company to start construction of its $254.3 million (R2.4-billion) project. Sere is the Nama word for "cool breeze". The wind farm project is scheduled to become fully commercially operational by the end of ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
Winds: From the East at 7 MPH
Seth MacFarlanes feature film debut Ted delivers pretty much exactly what you would expect from the creator of the animated sitcom Family Guy, and it will no doubt appeal primarily to those who eat up his particular stew of nonsequitor humor, surreal digressions, 70s and 80s pop-culture ad ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Marks & Spencer have fallen for the second year in a row as its much maligned womenswear divison continued to disappoint.UK sales fell 1% overall, dragged down by a poor performance in general merchandise, which dropped 4.1% on a like-for-like basis.The results could have been worse had it not been for a 4.5% rise in international sales and a 16.6% boost in multichannel business. Food was ...
G4S , the company responsible for the botched handling of security at last year's Olympics.Buckles is being replaced by the company's chief financial officer, Ashley Almanza, who only joined G4S three weeks ago.The world's largest security company told the City this morning that Buckles, who was paid a basic salary of 830,000 a year, will leave on 31 May.His abrupt departure comes ...
Local Business Week (LBW) drew to a close on Sunday, leaving in its wake several interesting points to consider about the future of the British high street and its thousands of butchers, bakers, candlestick makers - and countless other small businesses.When we launched the campaign, the intention was to encourage shoppers to stay local for the week and make SME owners aware of the support and ...
A draft law that a group of European Union lawmakers voted for on Monday would shield small depositors from losing their savings in future bank rescues, but customers with more than 100,000 euros in savings when a bank failed could suffer losses.A group of lawmakers in the European Parliament's economics committee overwhelmingly voted that, from 2016, large depositors in the EU might suffer ...
They Said It
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Sweet Home Hotel
It is not often we review a hotel of this size, or of this budget range, so it was a ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Central Asia TimesCentral Asia Times | The Latest News from Central Asia
Breaking news from Central Asia is the focus of the Central Asia Times. This online newspaper has an extended scope, and includes international news and updates from the business world, and global markets.
In addition to our own resources in our Asian bureaus, we have our own international offices, and take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
For those who may require Central Asia news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of Central Asia news delivered to their inbox, we provide this complimentary service on a daily basis.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the Central Asia Times please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari will undertake an official visit to Uzbekistan from May 21 to 24.
He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation.
Minister of State for Environment and Forest Jayanti Natarajan and four Members of Parliament are likely to be part of the delegation.
Vice-President Ansari will depart from Delhi on May 21 and reach Tashkent on the same day.
On Wednesday, he will call on Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov. He will also meet with the Chairman of the Senate and the Speaker of the Lower House of Parliament.
The Vice President will also visit the historical cities of Samarkand and Bukhara.
During the last state visit of the President of Uzbekistan to India in 2011, both countries elevated their bilateral relationship to the level of a strategic partnership.
Relations between India and Uzbekistan have traditionally been cordial and significant progress has been registered in all areas of bilateral cooperation, through regular high-level exchanges, cooperation in strategic areas, growing bilateral trade and commercial ties and increased interaction in the fields of education, science and technology, culture and people-to-people relations. (ANI)
- Afghan President Karzai to hold talks with Manmohan Singh today
- In Kabul UNESCO chief spotlights Afghanistans educational and cultural gains
- Sharif Calls for Peace Talks With Pakistani Taliban
- 14 killed in Afghan suicide bombing
- Karzai leaves for state visit to India
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Eleven Appoints Industry Veteran Cyndi Shepley as Senior VP of Sales
- Whos winning the tablet war
- Register for the 2013 Milestone User Conference
- Navajo Nation opens casino in northern Arizona
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- 22 killed in nine car bombings in Iraq
- Akon ordered to pay child support
- Shell out more to buy booze in thirsty Delhi
- Abu Dhabis TAQA denies London bourse move
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Bieber booed by fans at Billboard Music Awards
- Youths with disabled peoples stage flashmob in Baku - VIDEO
- Opera queens night of celebration
- Obamas war on Fox News
- Fox News What up until now has always been a free press
- James Rosen Subpoena Doesnt Suggest Charges Against Fox News Reporter DOJ Says
- Feds also spied on Fox News reporter
- U.S. govt says Fox News journalist committed crime by disclosing leaked information
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- Becks facing adjustment issues post-retirement
- Sleep apnea in seniors linked to Alzheimers
- Wine aged in Charleston Harbor being recovered
- This is the end beautiful friend The Doors Ray Manzareck dies from bile duct cancer aged 74
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Central Asia Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Ansari to undertake four-day visit to Uzbekistan
- Azerbaijan attends 32nd Turkish Day Parade - PHOTOS
- Governor of California congratulates people of Azerbaijan on Republic Day
- Azerbaijan`s Minister of Health visits Hungary
- Azerbaijan`s State Budget receives AZN 46694 mln in January-March 2013